Nettle and Oatmeal Soup with Bre's Family's Soda Bread
Rare Recipe from Bre Carrington-Sykes, Pentre Mawr Country House
Bre likes to give guests at Pentre Mawr meals that are a bit different. She takes her influences from all over the world. Nettle and Oatmeal Soup is popular in Bre's native Ireland; Cranachan is a traditional Scottish dessert; and the Cape Malay Fish Casserole harks back to holidays in South Africa.
Nettle and Oatmeal soup with Bre's Family's Soda Bread (serves 6)
INGREDIENTS - SODA BREAD
- 1lb of plain flour
- 1½ lbs of whole wheat flour
- A handful of porridge oats
- 2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp of salt
- 32 fl oz of buttermilk
METHOD - SODA BREAD
- Mix dry ingredients together well and stir in buttermilk until you get a consistency dry enough to knead. Knead well for 5 or 6 minutes or longer if you have the time.
- Take out of the bowl, flatten into a circle and cut a cross into it.
- Place it on an floured oven tray and then bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 200 degrees and then 20 minutes at 180 degrees (this will vary with each oven).
- The bread should have a hollow sound when you tap the underside of it, if it is cooked.
INGREDIENTS - NETTLE AND OATMEAL SOUP
- 1lb of young nettles ( best to use the tips and never stalks)
- 1½ pints of vegetable stock
- 2oz butter
- ½ pint of milk
- ½lb of oatmeal
- Cracked black pepper and sea salt
METHOD - NETTLE AND OATMEAL SOUP
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the oatmeal and cook until the mixture is golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the stock.
- Bring to the boil and add the milk.
- Bring back to the boil and add the chopped nettles.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes remove from the heat and blend. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve with home made soda bread.